Gaming Hi-Fi Thread

Chat about video games, graphic design, whatever!
andrewelmore
FC-ID: KON-RC821
Pronouns: he/him/his

Gaming Hi-Fi Thread

Generalist thread for any and all discussion about getting the best audio and video from your setup, modern or retro!

CRTs, upscalers, surround sound, emulation, all that fun stuff.

I'm not really sure how to kick this off, so I'll share some recent photos from re-wiring my retro setup I guess!

Everything's all hooked up and ready to go at any time, with the exception of the Intellivision, which I suspect needs a recap, and the Twin Famicom, which needs a new belt and power supply.

TV: Sony Trinitron KV-36FS320
AVR: Sony STR-DA1ES
Atari 2600: "Vader" VCS (RF/Mono)
Intellivision: Model 1 (RF/Mono)
NES: Analogue NT Mini (Component/"Stereo")
Genesis: Early Model 1 (RGB/Stereo)
PC Engine: CoreGrafx II (RGB via Super HD System 3, awaiting SCART cable from Retro Access/Stereo)
SNES: 1-chip (RGB/Surround)
Neo-Geo: Analogue CMVS in Black Mahogany (RGB/Stereo)
3DO: JP model with mode switch for 240p and Fixel's ODE (S-Video/Surround)
Jaguar: Nothing special, hardware-wise (RGB/Stereo)
PlayStation: Non-launch, non-slim model (RGB/Surround)
Saturn: Model 2 with PSK card (RGB/Stereo)
Nintendo 64: Funtastic Jungle Green, region-free (S-Video, Surround)
Dreamcast: Launch model, just replaced GDEmu with normal GD-ROM drive again lol (RGB/Stereo)
PlayStation 2: Standard model w/ FMCB HDD & network adapter (RGB/Digital PLII & DTS)
PlayStation 2: Standard JP "Smoke Gray" model w/ network adapter (RGB/Digital PLII & DTS)
Xbox: Soft-modded (Component/Dolby Digital 5.1)
PSP: PSP-3000 (Component/Stereo)
Wii: (Component/PLII)
Xbox 360: Elite (Component/Dolby Digital 5.1)
DVD: Sony S7000 (Component/Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS)
LaserDisc: Pioneer DVL-909 (S-Video/Analogue and Digital Surround, Dolby Digital AC-3, and DTS)
VCR: JVC HR-46000U S-VHS (S-Video/Surround)

Tags:
breakfastcowl
FC-ID: HAL-AI
Pronouns: He/Him

Phenomenal setup, looks great and I'll bet it feels great to have everything accessible and orderly. Would love to eventually get things out of boxes and onto shelves if ever we find a larger place. I'm sure I'll have specific questions for some of what's goin' on in there, but for now I'll just say I love how Godfather 1 & 2 are separated by a chasm, ha!
Image ★ nothing! ★
Fruitality
FC-ID: FMC-NMJ
Pronouns: he/him

Oh my god. Famiclub meetup at Andrew's place?

I think the fact that they're all hooked up and ready to go at any time is the most impressive part. That's an incredible achievement in cable management!

Your commitment and care towards your Hi-Fi setup is admirable. 😍

I've got a small collection of consoles and handhelds. I used to have them all set up on a book shelf (not plugged in, but with easily accessible cables), but since I've moved into my current place I haven't had a good place to get them all set up. I've got my Famicom out on a shelf next to my little CRT, but that's all. The rest are sadly in boxes.

Anway, I've got:
  • Famicom
  • Super Famicom
  • Nintendo 64
  • Gamecube (purple!)
  • Wii (soft mod)
  • Wii U
  • PlayStation (mod chip)
  • PSone
  • PlayStation 2 (standard)
  • PlayStation 3 (slim)
These ones I'll just bring out and plug into a little TEAC CRT here if I want to play something in particular.

Then I've got the PS5, Xbox Series S, and Switch plugged into the LG OLED in the living room.

And just because I'm now listing everything, I also have these handhelds:
  • Game Boy (transparent)
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance SP
  • Game Boy Micro
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo 3DS (really need to softmod this!)
Would love to have everything displayed in one place again. Hopefully our next place will be large enough!
andrewelmore

Well, I've got my PS1 and 360 region modded, and built a new shelf for the ol' retro room. Additionally, I got a very nice capture device and a RetroTink 4K on the way. My footage is gonna be looking soooo so good soon lol.
malyzar
FC-ID: CAP-EH
Pronouns: he/him

My latest project is a mini PC running Batocera* to emulate old games on the TV. It's been real fun to put together. First time flashing an internal SSD, visiting a Micro Center, etc. I've mainly been using it to play PS2 wrestling games and dip into older stuff. Generally good for PS2 (at 2x resolution) and earlier systems. Although, to my great disappointment, it can't seem to handle Need for Speed Underground 2 or Most Wanted. BUT it's still a nice, little Frankenstein-device to have under my TV.

*Man, Batocera is pretty weird. It's very nice to be able to boot up and navigate with only a controller. But most of the themes have a really horrible vibe. Lots of jank. Open to other suggestions, haha.
andrewelmore

To be fair, the PS2 couldn't really handle NFS Underground 2 or Most Wanted either lol