Forum Signatures

Chat about video games, graphic design, whatever!
phearhead
FC-ID: BA-KAMEN
Pronouns: He/Him

Forum Signatures

So, yeah, this is probably a niche question, but does anyone have any of their old forum signatures? I actually got started as a designer working on sigs and they really helped me learn a ton about style, typography, etc. I still have some of my old favorites, just because I can't seem to get rid of them lol...

Tags:
malyzar
FC-ID: CAP-EH
Pronouns: he/him

These are great. Especially love the Gambit and Lambo ones. I never really got into forums back in the day, regrettably.
breakfastcowl
FC-ID: HAL-AI

Still have some from overclocking/tech forums. What a wonderful mess they are.

Outside of early photography edits, I think goofing around on forums also got me experimenting with things for the first time. (Was also an AMD fanboy, wow.)
Image ★ nothing! ★
Fruitality
FC-ID: FMC-NMJ

Incredible. Over-designed forum signatures are so iconic.

What I would give to have access to the laptop that I owned somewhere between like 2006-2010. It must have had so much weird teenage online history stored in it.

Definitely goofing around with this kind kind of stuff for forums and the like gave me early skills in design and HTML (making myspace themes lol) before I knew I could be a graphic designer. Formative stuff!
Fruitality

Just had a flashback to posting on a Maplestory forum. Wild. I'll have to have a dig through the Wayback Machine to see if I can find anything.
phearhead
FC-ID: BA-KAMEN

MySpace themes were a boon to anyone wanting to dabble in web design back then! I remember checking the source in celebrity themes and ripping them to recode them with my own images and stuff! Good timessss.
turnwrighthere
FC-ID: TOA-7L

This was a blast from the past, here’s a part of an animated banner for an ancient mspaint comic I did. I am too embarrassed to show any more lol
B9D4494E-182E-4325-AA49-46BAC5B95580.jpeg
B9D4494E-182E-4325-AA49-46BAC5B95580.jpeg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
I couldn’t even share the original .BMP to this board, had to take a screenshot haha. Hope this looks ok, sharing from my phone. Will fix in post if not
Fruitality wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 13:01 Definitely goofing around with this kind kind of stuff for forums and the like gave me early skills in design and HTML (making myspace themes lol) before I knew I could be a graphic designer. Formative stuff!
I also had no idea graphic design was an option. It had never occurred to me that there were whole careers around making everything we see every day. As soon as it clicked for me it was like, OH. Of course that’s what I should be doing, I’ve been doing that on my own all along

Code: Select all

The last time I made a forum signature I barely knew HTML
Fruitality

I've always been curious about so many old signatures that looked something like this:

Where did these come from? They all looked so similar. I love the tiny slim format.
TandyQ
FC-ID: RC847

Fruitality wrote: 04 May 2023, 09:01 I've always been curious about so many old signatures that looked something like this:

Where did these come from? They all looked so similar. I love the tiny slim format.
I'd love to know where they came from too! I love how stackable those slim ones are.
--
Signature a WIP. Still finding my feet being back in message board lands~
Fruitality

Don't worry, I found this sweet tutorial on how to make them:

https://en.softonic.com/articles/how-to ... DINS-635.3
breakfastcowl
FC-ID: HAL-AI

Oo! There's a pretty sizable archive of them over at https://www.userbars.be/

Dig around and you'll find a bunch from 2010 and earlier:

^ look at 'em... like geological strata, but for web history.
Image ★ nothing! ★
malyzar

Oh hell yeah. You can also sort by date. Finding some as old as 2006. AND there's a PSD template. https://www.userbars.be/resources

Love it! Gonna make some. :)
Fruitality

You guys have become a menace to that website.

Love to see it.
malyzar

lol, I'm trying to beat Andrew.
malyzar

Userbars.be has been down for several days. 💔