PS1 UI Appreciation Blog

Chat about video games, graphic design, whatever!
malyzar
FC-ID: CAP-EH
Pronouns: he/him

PS1 UI Appreciation Blog

I just launched a new Tumblr dedicated to UI design in PS1 games. I've wanted something like this to exist for quite a while and randomly decided to make it happen today. Ideally this would be a more in-depth, analysis type of thing. But for now it's just screenshots. Thought some of you might be interested. Feedback and suggestions are welcomed!

https://psxui.tumblr.com/

(It's better on desktop, fyi.)

Tags:
breakfastcowl
FC-ID: HAL-AI
Pronouns: He/Him

Sweet! Looking through it, spotting a lil' Castlevania SotN @_@ Huh, those screens really were just data-jammed up "cells" & satisfying audio cues... *reverie*

Do you see yourself adding some personal thoughts/analysis in the future?
Image ★ nothing! ★
malyzar

breakfastcowl wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 22:05 Do you see yourself adding some personal thoughts/analysis in the future?
Maybe not! I'm working on adding a categories page so you can sort by things like inventory, options, level select, etc. It could be a resource for inspiration, like the Game+Logo account. But who knows, just pumping out screenshots for now.
andrewelmore
FC-ID: KON-RC821
Pronouns: he/him/his

Matt this is THE BEST!!!!!!

I have one more for you though, that I think you'll be VERY excited when you see it.

Check out the UI for Starfighter Sanvein. It got a budget release as "SHOOTER" in the US lmao, from Agetec's A1 budget line that gave us such classics as "RACING" and "TENNIS" lol, but Starfighter Sanvein is an Actual Good Game that just got a weirdo release over here. One of my mutuals on bird website worked on it. You can still find sealed copies on ebay for like seven dollars cause nobody knows about it, but it's really cool, and it might be the most stylistically bugnuts UI in the entire PS1 library.

Similarly, check out iS: Internal Section, a Rez-esque tube-shooter from Squaresoft of all people. It's a blend of Rez (which hadn't been made yet), Tempest 2000, and n2o. It's one of the coolest looking games I've ever seen. Actually it might be worth checking out the UI of n2o as well, but definitely check out Internal Section. It recently got a "fan translation" patch, but I have a JP copy and I don't remember there being any text in the game that wasn't in english. I have no idea why it never came out over here. Anyway it's got one hell of a UI and menu system.
malyzar

Woah, Starfighter Sanvein looks AMAZING. I'm vaguely familiar with Internal Section, but never tried it because I thought it was Japanese only. Good to know. Will get 'em all in the queue! :)
malyzar

Andrew, I LOVE Starfighter Sanvein. Thanks so much for the rec. I think I might buy a sealed copy, lol.
andrewelmore

malyzar wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 12:17 Andrew, I LOVE Starfighter Sanvein. Thanks so much for the rec. I think I might buy a sealed copy, lol.
Yessssss I'm so glad!!
Fruitality
FC-ID: FMC-NMJ

There is just some absolutely incredible stuff on the PS1 hey.
phearhead
FC-ID: BA-KAMEN
Pronouns: He/Him

Crying at how beautiful and unique these are. They just don't make em like this anymore...
malyzar

It's been extremely interesting to dip into all these games and really pay attention to the UI stuff. I consumed most of these games before I understood how much work and intentionality was involved in any of this. Especially cool to see evolutions in a series. Like how drastically different Ace Combat 3 is compared to the first two!

And it's also sometimes very funny? Like I played the hell out of WWF Attitude and never realized the inherent comedy of a giant, angry, motionless Stone Cold staring at me. Good times, lol.

andrewelmore

YES how could i have forgotten Ace Combat 3!!!
andrewelmore

wow there is a TON of stuff in that blog now, matt. this rules!
malyzar

andrewelmore wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 10:00 wow there is a TON of stuff in that blog now, matt. this rules!
Thanks very much! It's been a blast to work on. The queue I had built up finally ran out, so if you have any other suggestions, let me know!
griz
FC-ID: SFX-AT
Pronouns: he

goodness gracious this is just what i needed. no but let's talk about that Chrono Cross start screen !! :D
andrewelmore

griz wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 10:31 goodness gracious this is just what i needed. no but let's talk about that Chrono Cross start screen !! :D
BROOOOO

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!